Queen's Park bodychecks OHL's latest return-to-play proposal

It’s back to the drawing board for the Ontario Hockey League.

Article content

It’s back to the drawing board for the Ontario Hockey League.

Ontario Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries Lisa MacLeod said at a briefing Friday that the province’s chief medical officer of health David Williams did not find the league’s most recent proposal meets the standards for a return to play.

“We are looking for ways to enable the OHL to come back to the game — possibly with bubble towns — in the hope that there will be hockey before the NHL draft,” MacLeod told Radio Canada. “We’re working around the clock to figure out how to get there. We know how the OHL is important for the cultural fabric of this province.”

The ministry previously approved return to play plans by the NHL and American Hockey League, both of which are underway. The OHL has not played a game since March 12 and has postponed starting dates twice.

“It is our No. 1 priority to get our players back on the ice safely,” the OHL said in a statement. “The league has been working closely with Minister MacLeod and the government on its return to play plan.”

Advertisement

Advertisement
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

News Near Stratford

This Week in Flyers