$200K Listowel drug bust case back in Stratford court

Police said over $200,000 in drugs, as well as cash and offence-related property, was seized through search warrants at properties in North Perth and Minto township. (Handout)

Share Adjust Comment Print

A North Perth man facing trafficking charges after police said they seized more than $200,000 in drugs in Listowel and Minto had his case return Monday in front of a Stratford judge.

Aaron Walsh’s defence lawyer, Nicholas Wansbutter, said he had an initial pre-trial with federal prosecutor Frances Brennan last week, adding she is going to follow up on some unanswered questions. Cellphone transcripts were also currently being processed, Wansbutter added.

Brennan confirmed those two points to Justice Kathryn McKerlie and said her office will need time to answer those outstanding questions.

“I’m hopeful, though, if we return – perhaps in two weeks – that I would have enough information for Mr. Walsh to know whether he wishes to take one avenue or another,” Brennan said.

McKerlie adjourned the case to Nov. 13. Wansbutter added lawyer John Christie, representing co-accused Melissa Luu-Tran, told him he wanted to bring his client’s case back at the same time. McKerlie adjourned that case to the same day.

Provincial police in North Perth said they seized a “large quantity” of meth, as well as cash, from a vehicle in Minto on Aug. 28 and executed search warrants at addresses in Listowel and Minto the following day. Police said they found $218,000 in meth and psilocybin and $49,000 in offence-related property at those two locations. About $71,000 in offence-related property was seized during the arrest, police said.

Walsh, 33, is facing two possession for the purpose of trafficking charges. The charges have not been tested in court.

In late September, Perth County OPP said they made a second arrest related to the case. Luu-Tran, 32, from North York was arrested and charged with trafficking meth, police said. This charge has not been tested in court, either.

Despite the second arrest, police said the investigation was still ongoing.